Monday, July 12, 2010

10 Minute Bread Bags


First off let me start out by saying I didn't bake these breads! My wonderful husband did! While I love to bake all sorts of goodies, he bakes our yummy bread. Baking bread can be time consuming, so if you are going to go through the hard work and reward of baking bread, you might as well make more then one loaf at a time(our family can easily go through a loaf in one night). The other night my husband was baking a double batch (4 bread loaves) and asked if we had any old bread bags to store them in. I said no. Thats when I thought, why not make my own reusable bread bags. It came to me, why not use kitchen napkins and kitchen towels. They breathe well and are decorative! I made two different size bread bags, using kitchen napkins for bread loaf bags and kitchen towels for round breads or muffins. This tutorial is for loaf breads.



Supplies needed:
20x20 Kitchen napkin
thread
safety pin
24 inches string or ribbon



Since the hems are already done, the first thing you want to do is make the hole for the string. At top of napkin fold over 1 inch, press. Stitch 3/4inch inseam.



Fold in a half with RIGHT sides together stitch 1/4 inch inseam side and bottom (make sure not to sew close your hole at the top!). Turn right side out.



Take your string or ribbon and stick a safety pin on one end of it. Using safety pin slide string through hole. Take the two ends of the string and tie a knot. Wash and ready for use.

The same idea is applied with the kitchen towels. I simply folded it in half for round breads or muffins. You can fold them length wise and have a french bread or baguette bag.

These are perfect gifts to give a friend, along side homemade jam!

4 comments:

  1. That's such a cute idea! You could even give a store bought loaf in one of these for a gift.
    Does the bread stay soft? Oh and will you send me the recipe for the bread?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Jen, you are an awesome sewer. Who knew? I didn't! I can't sew worth beans but these are cool ideas you have! I am going to have to check if they have that place for ribbon here. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks everyone.
    Chrissa, the bread will stay soft for abouut 48 hours, longer if it is a sweet bread. Thanks Jessica. I have been sewing for years, just not as often as I would like, 4 kids will do that to ya. Hobby Lobby is an awesome place for ribbon, hope you have one close by!

    ReplyDelete